Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Traveling Hubs and Homeschooling a Teenager

Beware!  This is a long post!

Well, the whole traveling hubby stinks!  The first two nights he was gone were the worse but each day has gotten better.  I've just been real depressed and not had the motivation to get up and do stuff.  The four years we have been together, we have been apart for two one week periods and the last one was more then two and a half years ago.  We are a very close couple and do everything together.  Rarely do we ever do stuff apart and that's normally when he is at work and I go see a friend.  We enjoy each other's company and we love to be together.  Why else would we have gotten married???

 Now, I know all couples are different and the only thing that matters is if BOTH of them are happy.  Take my mom and step-dad for example.  When the got married, they were not living together.  They don't wear rings and my mom didn't take his last name.  When they finally moved in together, they each had their own room and didn't sleep in the same bed at night.  Now though, they are in the same room and same bed.  Lol.  I couldn't have done that at all and neither could have my husband but my mom and step-dad were more than happy with their relationship status and that is all that mattered.

So this time apart has really torn us up inside, including Alyson.  I think she has missed him more than me!  When we dropped him off at his hotel and were leaving, she began crying and saying, "Daddy!  Daddy!"  It tore my heart up and did not make it any easier on me.  She just didn't understand why we were leaving him!  She has asked several times where he is but luckily we have been able to talk to him on the phone and Skype with him.  Every time I get on the phone though, she thinks it Daddy and demands to talk to him.  Which Ricky loves because she has always favored me and I love it too because it's nice to know that she really loves her daddy.  She has also began to act out and become a holy terror since he has been gone!  Needless to say, we can't wait for him to come home which is tomorrow!  But it will be a short-lived celebration because he won't even be home for 24 hours before he has to go back out on the road.  Luckily, he will just be making the ten hour drive to Kansas City, doing a one night job, and then driving home without staying in a hotel for the day.  Then he will be ours for five or six days!!!


These were taken just before we left Ricky at the hotel.

My sister,Tazia, (who is 15 and in the 10th grade) has always had issues with authority and she is having some trouble in school.  She asked me if I would homeschool her and of course I said yes because I know that she will be able to reach her full educational potential and more with a little bit of help.  I was lost when looking for stuff for preschoolers so you can imagine how I felt when looking for all her curriculum!  I contacted some of my old teachers at the high school to see what kind of text they were using in the hopes of me being able to find it cheap on ebay and one of the teachers is going to GIVE me some books from the previous text adoption!  They'll be a little old but nothing too ancient.  She's been out of school for a week now and my mom and I want to get her started ASAP on her English and math so she doesn't fall too far behind but lack of funds on my mom's and my part is slowing us down.  Hopefully we will be able to find what we need by this weekend.


On another note, I wanted to share some of Alyson's recent antics...

Alyson and I were drawing and coloring today and I was trying to show her how to draw a straight line. So, I drew one and showed it to her and said it was a "line." In response, she roared. I was a little puzzled as to why she was roaring but then I realized that she thought I was saying "lion!" Lol.  I tried to explain to her the difference between a "line" and a "lion" but she just wasn't having it. So now, she roars when she sees a "line" and also calls "lines" "lions."

 

Alyson was watching "Finding Nemo" and  at the part where Dory is "speaking whale," she was mimicking Dory and let's just say she can now "speak whale!" She sounded just like Dory! 

 

Alyson saw me get out the cheese while I was making us some grilled cheeses and really wanted a slice. I told her she had to wait to eat it in her sandwich. Well, the little smartie pulled apart the slices of bread and just ate the cheese!  Her daddy was pretty proud of this one. :] 

 

The first time we Skyped with Ricky  it was time for her to lay down for her nap so I told her to give Daddy kisses so she kissed him (the computer screen) like five times! She just kept giving him kisses and didn't want to leave him!  It broke my heart but made me feel so good because she obviously loves and misses her daddy dearly. 

 

Happily talking to her daddy on the phone.


Skyping with daddy!


 Silly girl... 

 


 

 

Guess that's it for now.  Sorry it's so long.


God bless you and yours!

 

P.S. I just decided to share all our names!  Hopefully, I don't regret it.

~Cierra~

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting me and telling me about Malware Bytes. Running the full scan now and *crossing my fingers*!! It's already found 13 as soon as it started. I got that stupid Security Suite virus that's been going around. Went right past my Norton. oh well.
    You have a beautiful family. My husband is a truck driver and is usually home 4-6 days a month, that's all. Actually, after many years, you get used to it. Plus I have five kids, homeschool, and college to keep me more than busy.
    Here's an article I just found on electives for high schoolers since that's usually this biggest hurdle:
    http://hslda.org/highschool/Elective_Possibilities.pdf. Good luck and let me know if you need anything. My oldest graduated homeschool high school 2 yrs ago and I have a senior this year too.

    ReplyDelete